Rituals are for Transformation.

TOPIC: Performing Sandhya

Performing Sandhya 7 years 3 months ago #1286

• neelima
  • neelima's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Is it very important to perform Sandhya (Nitya karma)by every individual? If yes what is the procedure to perform? Please guide about this in detail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Performing Sandhya 7 years 3 months ago #1311

Could you explain what is Sandhya? What is the purpose of performing this?

Performing Sandhya 7 years 3 months ago #1313

• neelima
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@Muthu
As per my understanding it is a form of prayer as we do any other prayers with the intention to thank the Supreme God. It is called as Sandhya vandanam and has to be performed thrice a day offering water to the Sun god chanting Gayatri mantra and others mantras which I am not sure. It takes long time to perform so there is also a procedure called laghu Sandhya which can be finished within 10 minutes.

It is said to be a nitya karma so every body has to perform this action everyday. So I wanted to know the exact procedure of this important ritual.

Performing Sandhya 7 years 3 months ago #1314

@Neelima

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I'm pretty bad in remembering the names of the rituals and I haven't performed this ritual as ritual, but I think this is happening every second in our life and we just need to connect it and see the beauty. Let us connect this to ourselves and see what is happening in this ritual.

Objective of the ritual : Intention to thank the SUPREME GOD.

Procedure : Offer water to the Sun God, by chanting mantras.

As the procedure can be seen as below

Body Level - Offer Water to Sun which is the source of this material existence.
Water is the mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen (Hydrogen is the first element) and Oxygen is the reason we are existing. But both came from Sun (Source), go giving it back to source.

Intelligence level - Offer mind(water) to intelligence(sun/fire) which is the source of creation.
Mind has the same character of water (constant change) and intelligence has the same character of Sun (To transform)

Awareness level - Offer I (WATER) to the Supreme God (SUN).

So we can clearly see that the objective of the ritual is at the awareness level, but the procedure is at body level. But without this body level the awareness level cannot be reached. So here the specific mantra, tantra, items plays a very less important role.

UNDERSTAND, PERFORM and REALIZE the rituals.

KNOWLEDGE + APPLICATION = REALIZATION

Sorry if the terms or language is confusing, please let me know if I need to clarify any points. But the "I" is happy to revisit and clarify itself. Thanks for bringing up this question.

Last edit: by muthuksundaram.

Performing Sandhya 7 years 3 months ago #1316

• neelima
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@Muthu

Thanks for your interpretation of showing the correlation between the ritual and the purpose behind doing it. You are really very good at this.

It is very clear. Only one thing is why is it without body level actions the awareness level won't be reached?

I keep getting this question when we know everything here is the One Consciousness, why are we praying individually to different gods, with different kind of rituals? Where so much of our time is utilized everyday but instead if we sit calmly and just focus on the Ultimate that instead gives better feeling to me. The time to be with him in peace could be increased...?

Performing Sandhya 7 years 3 months ago #1318

@Neelima

The terms body level also need to understood very clearly. In your statement of of sitting calmly and just focus, sitting and focusing is also a body level actions, even breathing, seeing, hearing etc are body level actions. These are mandatory things.

It is like without land you can't built a home. And also because the home is built, it doesn't mean the land doesn't exist.

Ask yourself this question. "If I intellectually know everything here is the ONE, then why do I discriminate? If everything is ONE the idol in the temple, rituals performed, not performed etc are also ONE. Then why do I like and dislike certain things?"

This is a very normal thing which comes into an individual during the spiritual journey, but when the above question is asked to ourselves, then we can see there is still likes and dislikes exist. When we keep implementing the knowledge then we can also see the likes and dislikes starts disappearing.

If everything is ONE with whom do you want to be with in peace??

Last edit: by muthuksundaram.
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds